Sunday, January 27, 2008

Small Group Projects

For three days last week our Site was split up into small groups where we each served at different ministry and organizations. The pictures below show what we were up to!

Emthonjeni:

It's really incredibly what God has opened my eyes and heart to this week. My small group and I were able to spend the last few days working and experiencing life at Emthonjeni, an HIV/AIDS clinic located in a rural area called Sweet Waters, just outside of Soweto. Earlier this week we were challenged by our speaker to go into our service projects with love, whatever we ended up doing. The first day I found myself cutting cabbage with love. Who would ever have thought that one could get such an awesome feeling from cutting cabbage?
With love we also, washed dishes, relocated a big pile of plastic pieces from a shed (to be converted into homes for patients within the next year), my favourite was being welcomed into people’s homes, already fill of love. Being able to meet such strong and faithful individuals was an incredible blessing. For example we had the chance to visit a Grandmother who was looking after her 5 grandchildren after their mother’s death last December due to AIDS. Would I be able to do the same thing if I were in her position? Only by the grace of God.

The people we’ve met have been so full of hope, kindness and generosity. I feel that these people have made a bigger difference in my life than I’ve made in theirs. I’ve seen that it’s so important in our lives to be thankful and keep focused on God. Whatever comes our way good or bad. Don’t dismiss a blessing and don’t dwell on the misfortunes that happen. Through him we can find the strength, love and peace we need to make the most of all situations.
“Enjoy prosperity while you can. But when hard times strike, realize that both come from God. That way you will realize that nothing is certain in this life” Ecclesiastes 7:14
Submitted by Julia Campbell

Dana's Small Group (aka DG VOLVO)
Back L-R Ryan, Rebekah, Meghan, Kim,Dana
Front (L-R) Thami (0ur Guide for the week), Julia, Riel


Creche
(Day Care)

Tessa's Small Group (L-R) Sully, Tessa, Hannah, Adrienne, Reuben, Jen, Darren

One of the projects was sewing for the children. Here the group enjoys their time together.

No comments: