Monday, February 4, 2008

Small Group Service Projects (continued)

Refilwe
For the Soweto service week my small group and I made our way out to Refilwe, which I quickly learned means “God Given”. Refilwe is an organization that puts orphaned children with guardians; anyone from grandmothers, single fathers, to married couples.
We did a number of things while we were there, from pulling weeds and climbing trees, to pouring concrete. The work I will never forget is when I threw on my rubber boots and became a farmer. The cows had to be milked twice a day, morning and night and I jumped at the idea of waking up at the crack of dawn to try my hand at it. In the start I couldn’t finish one quarter of the cow’s udder before the local boys had finished the other three! But by the end of the week I was able to get two going at the same time, even sneaking in a quick drink.
It was easy to enjoy work in place that’s visibly doing God’s work and wanting to be a part of that was contagious. Judging by the joyful singing from our group throughout the day I believe everyone would agree that this opportunity was God given.

Submitted by Kyle Wiebe

No comments: