Thursday, February 7, 2008

Hiking in the Drakensburg Mountains


“God isn’t jus beautiful- He is beauty itself”
I recently read this, but witnessed it first hand this past week while hiking in the Drakensburg mountains. Although we all may have memorized the person in front of us, -shoes, ankles and calves- from walking single file along the never ending path, once we looked up, the beauty we were surrounded by was breathtaking.

After seeing the height of the peak we climbing to and learning my next two nights would be spent in a cave, I have to say I was quite nervous. But once we headed out with beautiful weather I knew God would provide. Not only did he supply us with amazing weather, but he also gave us the strength and endurance we needed to reach Rhino’s Peak- our final destination. When I reached the peak I was blown away by the beauty of God’s creation- it was indescribable! What also hit me once we reached the peak was a major sense of personal accomplishment. Never would I have guessed I could climb 3000 meter mountain! But I didn’t do it alone- God was beside me the whole way supplying me with energy I didn’t know I had, as well as my fellow site members as a constant source of encouragement. This hike opened my eyes up more the beauty of God and His faithfulness to supply our needs.

Submitted by Kim Ball


For the hike we split into two groups. The first group had quite the adventure hiking in the rain for the first day, but we didn't get discouraged. The second day we hiked to the summit only to find a cloud keeping us company blocking the view of the valley below. It was still an amazing hike for us all!

Here the second group soaks in the sun and the view from the summit as they stop for a well-earned lunch break.

It was hard not to feel like we were on an epic journey such as the "Lord of the Rings"!

Here the guys take "team-building activities to a new height"

And the view...

No comments: